Quinoa with Apple & Cinnamon

>> Friday, October 1, 2010


It's been a while since my last post - my apologies dear readers! I've been doing a whole lot of traveling in the past month and have just returned to Sydney! 

One of the signs of a relaxing and carefree holiday is when you return home and put on your baggiest pair of jeans to find that it's not so baggy anymore! 

One of the things I missed during the time away was cooking a simple meal. I've been completely spoiled during my travel with my parents and friends taking me out to eat out like a king! But you can only have so much of delicious food before you crave for something healthy and nourishing...hmmm right? No? Okay, I'm pretty sure in about a week's time - after a week of this so-called simple food - I'll be craving to eat out again. The grass is always greener. Not sure if this phrase works here but you understand...right?


One of the food I bought since I've been back was quinoa. I've wanted to try this for a long time just because it sounds exotic...keen-wah! And is healthy of course. I bought it to replace my usual oatmeal for breakfast this week. You can get it in health food stores or most supermarket nowadays. Just make sure you give it a good rinse before you cook it capice? The surface contains saponin - a chemical that needs to be washed off!


One of the privileges of being temporary unemployed is that I can take my time eating breakfast. No more running out of the kitchen with my weetbix or cereal in a bag and eating out of a mug at work. Not a good sight!

After a sleep-in (no alarms!), I can take my time stirring my pot of bubbling creamy quinoa. Is it done yet? Then I can savour each bite of this nutty and crunchy porridge-like goodness while gazing out at the clear blue sky and feel like I'm about to catch a cold again from this freezing Spring breeze...and then I thank God for this brand new day that He has made. Rejoice and be glad! 

This is how food should be enjoyed, no?

Quinoa with Apple & Cinnamon
Inspired by Canelle and Vanille

makes about 2 servings
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 apple, diced
  • 1 cinnamon bark
  • chopped walnuts
1. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse it with cold water for a few seconds.

2. Combine the milk, cinnamon and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the quinoa and stir. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 15 minutes stirring every few minutes. If skin starts to form on top of the milk, just stir it back in. The milk will reduce and thicken. Ladle into bowls or jars.

3. Place diced apples into the pot half way through cooking if you prefer less-crunchy apple, otherwise toss them in at the end.

4. Top the quinoa with the walnuts and cinnamon powder (optional).


This is a rather short post, but stay tuned for lots of yummy recipes to come in the next few days!  ;)

14 comments:

Celeste @ Berrytravels October 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

I've recently started exploring the world of Quinoa as well ( and I do like saying the word, it's so cute) , Have been mostly baking and cooking with it so this idea of putting it in with apple and cinnamon is new and tasty sounding!

There's more quinoa in my pantry, so shall try this out!

Joanne October 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

I'm glad you had a fun vacation but I'm also SUPER glad that you're back with some delicious food! I eat oatmeal just about every morning and I've never thought to replace it with quinoa! Good call.

Deborah October 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM  

I haven't tried quinoa in a sweet way like this. What a wonderful breakfast!

Anonymous,  October 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

I want that spoon!

sugarpuffi October 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

omgomgomg u finally blogged and ur finally back! how was the trip? i wanna see lots of piccies. perhaps, a china trip tuesday? hehe.

the quinoa looks delicious!

Viv October 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

Celeste: Glad we're on the same boat! I need to try quinoa in savoury dishes now. Still have 2 packets to use up!

Joanne: Thanks :) I miss my usual oatmeal though - because it's so much faster to prepare!

Deborah: I basically cooked it the way I would with oatmeal :P Seems like most ppl use it in savoury then? Must give that a go!

Anonymous: Hehe, it came with the bowl and the coaster thing under it! Cute huh?

sugarpuffi: yes I've finally! lol china trip tuesday? nah that will be your slot. i'll have to choose another day then ;)

Kathryn October 7, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

What a great-looking fall treat! I always make apple turnovers around this time of year!

joanh October 15, 2010 at 3:59 AM  

love your pics!! my box of quinoa from LA has been sitting on my shelf while i figure out what i do with it... i've only had it savory, but i might have to give this a try! :)

Simone Anne November 2, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

Wow, I've never thought to eat it with sweet things, only vegetables. Sounds yummy!

Chats the Comfy Cook April 23, 2011 at 5:42 AM  

I've only used quinoa with vegetables. This sounds like a nice change of pace.

Anonymous,  May 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

Could you replace the whole milk with 1% or skim milk? Would the recipe turn out as well?

Viv May 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

sandyvsworld: of course, quinoa is super versatile and i just treat it like i would with oatmeal. i'm sure it'll be still as delicious with skim milk. lately, ive discovered that black or red quinoa tastes better than the white version so have been using it for breakfast instead. just load it up with lots of nuts and fruit (or even apple jam) and it'll be delicious!

It's The Balloon Lady October 22, 2011 at 4:18 AM  

I have recently fallen in love with quinoa and have a lot of apples today....THANK YOU! This looks amazing and I look forward to making it today!

Anonymous,  December 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM  

I want to visit to start my day. I also admire your selection. I’ll be back soon for more discussions. As of the moment I’ll just leave a quick post just letting you know I love your blog.humberbusinesslink.com |

iombusinesslink.com |

jerseyshorebusinessgroup.com |

kentbusinesslink.com |

koreabusinesseurope.com |

ltdhomebusiness.com |

mahindrasparesbusiness.com |

manchesterbusinesslink.com |

merseysidebusinesslink.com |

myonlinebusinessempires.com |

newsforlaw.com |

audiostudyguides.com |

liveeducational.com |

adventureeducationinc.com |

cleansafeschools.com |

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP