Steamed chocolate and adzuki (red bean) cupcakes

>> Sunday, October 17, 2010


I don't mean to bore you with another steamed cupcake recipe, but I enjoyed this cupcake so much that I do want to document it for future reference :)

When I think back on the past few years, certain things have been tough. In fact, very tough.

There were days when I felt completely defeated. You know, those days where you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel? But usually sometime during the day, I'd get a text message saying,

'Meet you at the gym at 6:45pm?' from my friend Miss P.

Despite my exhaustion, I did look forward to those gym sessions...because, truth be told, those weren't really gym sessions. I did jog (ok, I mainly strolled) on a treadmill with my fancy and shiny sneakers, but for the next half hour or so, I would pour out all my days frustrations and minute details to this dear friend (poor girl!) and she'd walk alongside with me and listen.

And eventually I'd feel calmer and inevitably, I'd start talking about food...

...and when I'm talking about food - I am laughing and I am rejuvenated and relaxed. The treadmill would then read 30 minutes and it's time to call it the end of a tough workout session.


So one thing I am missing now that I have moved away is an exercise buddy. Actually it's more than that. I'm missing a good friend who sometimes has to sample some of my baked goods gone wrong and who, like me, believes that ice-cream should be part of your everyday diet ;) I cannot recall how many times we've visited Coles just to stroll through their ice-cream section!


So obviously this post is dedicated to this dear friend. Not only is she truly a genuine and beautiful friend, she's the type of person who really prays for you and is always conscious of the things going on in your life.

Having friends like these are such blessings huh?

Thank you for the friendship and the encouragements. Gym sessions will never be the same again without you!

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Miss P treated me to delicious meals and gave me a most thoughtful present just before I left..so I baked (no, I steamed!) those incredible cupcakes for her just to say, thanks! They're super soft, moist and rather healthy! I used whole adzuki beans (as opposed to red bean paste) to add texture to the cupcakes. Red beans on it own are rather flavourless. But when mixed with chocolate, you can just smell the faint aroma of the beans but they hardly overpower or clash with the rich chocolate in anyway. 

If you're a fan of red beans like me, give this a go - I think you'll like it! 


Steamed chocolate and adzuki cupcakes
Makes 6 cupcakes

Ingredients (updates in RED)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 30g sugar (I used brown - you may want to up on this to say 50g as I tend to prefer my food not too sweet)
  • 1/4 cup of milk (or yoghurt)
  • 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (can use other oil like canola or olive)
  • 40g all purpose flour
  • 20g cocoa powder (I used dutch processed)
  • ~50g cooked adzuki beans (whole)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
1. In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly then add the sugar and mix well.

2.  Then add the milk (or yoghurt) into the mixture as well as the grapeseed oil. Beat well.

3. Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and incorporate into the egg mixture and mix until the batter does not have white parts from the flour.

4. Finally incorporate the adzuki beans into batter and mix gently.

5. Ladle the batter into 6 separate cupcake/panna cotta containers which are lined with cupcake liners/muffin cups. I used jelly moulds! Please refer to my previous 

6. In a large pot (I used cast iron casseroles), fill it with enough boiling hot water such that when you put the cupcakes in, the water comes about half way on the mould. Refer to the photo in my previous post.

7. Steam for around 13-15 minutes with the lid on on low-medium heat. I prefer to wrap a cloth/towel on the lid to prevent water droplets dropping onto the cupcakes. Don't steam over-time as the cake will become 'soggy'.

8. Carefully remove from pot as the cupcakes will be steaming hot!


18 comments:

Anna October 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

No, not boring at all - I'm loving these steamed cupcake recipes you're sharing. These look great, and so healthy! Yummm :)

Asha @ FSK October 18, 2010 at 2:38 AM  

They look awesome!! lvoe the texture of the cakes

Maria @ Scandi Foodie October 18, 2010 at 5:36 AM  

They look perfect! So moist and I bet they were so tasty!

Anonymous,  October 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

Hi Can you tell me if you need to steam your cakes on the stove? if so what kind of heat (low Mid high) for 13-15mins?

Joanne October 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

When I first moved to Boston for college I had such a hard time adapting because of all the good friends I had left behind. I felt like I would never make new ones. But I did and so will you! especially if you offer/bribe people with cupcakes as delicious as these! I love red bean paste and so I WILL be making these!

sugarpuffi October 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

*yawn* youre boring me! nono, im jking<3
keep it up with the wacky fusion food uve been sprouting out lately!

Zoe October 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

love your mini cakes and your photos. The cakes are very cute.

Viv October 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

Ladybird: I'm glad :) Haha yea def healthier than the usual cupcakes!

Asha: Thank you! Yea the red beans add nice chewy textures!

Maria: Yes they were really moist..hmmmm.

Anonymous: Sorry I didn't mention it in my recipe! I will update it soon!! But yes I steamed on the stove on Low-Medium for ~14 mins as I used a cast iron pot which means I do not need to turn up the heat too much. You can refer to my previous post (goji&longan cupcakes) and see the photos which might help a little bit?

Joanne: Thanks for the encouragaing comments girl :) I def hope I'll be making more friends here soon. Yes bribing always does the trick aye ;)

sugarpuffi: Hehe and you keep it up with your wacky writing too...I love reading your posts!

Zoe: Thanks for your nice comment ;)

Patricia Scarpin October 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

These are luscious! And your photos are gorgeous.

ChichaJo October 19, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

They look lovely! I have never tried steaming for sweet things and I really should! I know what you mean about good friends and how they can be such bright spots in our lives :)

Deborah October 19, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

I REALLY need to try steamed cupcakes now!

Celeste @ Berrytravels October 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

Steamed cupcakes seem like they are going to be my new best friends! Not quite as guilty as the normal baked versions - I approve!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) October 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

These look so lovely and moist. I love red bean and recipes with yoghurt are always a good guarantee of a soft cake crumb!

Lynne@CookandBeMerry.com October 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

Holy smokes, Vivienne, you have me on your Blog List! I am SO flattered! Thank you. Your cupcakes look so moist and wonderful. I have steamed bread, but never anything sweet. This is a great idea, I'll have to try it.

Lynne
CookandBeMerry.com

Viv October 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Patricia: Thanks for your kind comments!

ChicaJo: I've only discovered steaming cakes lately too. It's much quicker than baking!

Deborah: Yep you should!

Celeste: Glad you approve :D Yea but because they're 'healthier' you tend to eat more than you should! ahah

Helen: Yep, that's why I always use yoghurt in my cakes :P i hear sour cream is equally good too.

Lynne: What are you talking about, of course I have you on my blog list! Been a while too :) LOVE your blog entries! Yes, do give this a try!

kirbie October 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

These look delicious! Another steamed cupcake recipe I need to try. I never thought to put red beans in cupcakes before.

Anonymous,  July 14, 2022 at 1:01 AM  

replica nappy bags find out here s6d45n7c61 replica bags philippines wholesale replica bags Discover More w0r73h1i23 replica bags pakistan recommended you read n0g14z8t04 aaa replica bags replica bags philippines wholesale

Unknown July 31, 2022 at 8:02 PM  

replica kipling bags discover here f6v00u6p31 replica bags on amazon view publisher site g1e97h3e27 replica louis vuitton replica bags south africa click here to investigate q0b15a5r56 high replica bags replica bags bangkok

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP