Your Place Or Mine? Book signing + Pumpkin Pudding with Cinnamon sauce

>> Tuesday, October 19, 2010


You know those movies which start at the peak of actions and have you at the edge of your seats...then all of a sudden they rewind back into the past where you discover all the incidents that lead to that present action-packed day?

Well here is mine:


So let's go back to last week and how it lead up to the above moment.

No no, let's go back to the day I was born and how I was born with good tastes in cups ;)

You see, I love collecting cups but every cup I've purchased and taken to work - it gets stolen.

Last week was no exception. I spent the weekend picking out a cup for my new job as I wanted something that I will be drinking out of to be pleasing to the eyes. Who doesn't?

Yesterday I naively took this new cup to work and I left it outside the bathroom for a brief 2 minutes and when I returned...it was gone! How can it be?

I walked around the office frantically looking for this new but lost friend.

I even sent out an e-mail to the entire office...something along the lines of:

...will the person who accidently borrowed my cup, please return it to me? I will buy (or make) you a cup of coffee if you return it safe (and preferably unused)...

No response with details of its mysterious disappearance.

There are times in a persons life where you just have to quickly accept the cold hard facts. They call it signs of a character...or something like that.

So today at lunch (I am getting somewhere with this story, truly!) I was on the way to buy a replacement cup. And I was intending on getting a realllly ugly one. You gotta learn your lessons right?

Walking past Target, there was a line of people each with this book: Your Place or Mine?


Book signing? I've never been to one before! Or maybe lately I've not liked a book enough to want to get it signed. All the authors I adore are no longer alive actually....

So I walked in and saw Gary and George! The MasterChef Australia judges! Pretty neat huh? They are exactly as how they're on TV - relaxed, down to earth and they joke around and interact with their fans with such ease!

I wasn't planning on getting the book initially, but when I flipped through it and saw recipes like 'Twice Baked Gruyere Souffle' and 'Carrot and Olive Caramel cake', I was sold. Plus I planned to get a cookbook anyways since I have none on my bookshelf since the move from Sydney. What perfect timing! Watch out for their recipes on this space in the near future!

When I was getting my book signed, I told Gary that I'm from Sydney and when George heard that, he gave me a disgusted look. He loves Sydney, that guy. I also told them that I'd like VIP treatments when I go visit their restaurants. I can't remember what they said in response. I think they said of course. We will see, won't we?

Anyways, it is an unfinished story with my cup. But what an serendipitous moment I had today! :)

I leave you with more pictures of my pumpkin pudding with cinnamon sauce in which I made recently.

It was so deliciously spicy and full of sugary pumpkin sweetness.


I will post up the recipe the next time.

For now, I need to go and make myself dinner...maybe something out of the book aye?




20 comments:

YW October 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

haha.. what good timing you have to walk past Target at that moment :) So lucky....

grub October 19, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

it's so annoying when people do that >=[ good luck with retriving your cup back though :) lucky you! book autographed and a photo!

Maria @ Scandi Foodie October 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM  

That's such a nice photo of you! Looking forward to the recipe, that pudding looks delicious!

Celeste @ Berrytravels October 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

That's pretty awesome timing! I was wondering whether or not to pick the book up - but perhaps I will wait till you do up some of the recipes and see what you think of them before picking up the book!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) October 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

And is the missing cup still at large? So sad.

That pumpkin pudding, on the other hand, makes me smile! It sounds amazing.

Viv October 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

YW: haha yes timing is everything :P

grub: thanks :) and good luck with your exams girl!

Maria: thank you! yep i shall post it up soon! :)

Celeste: yes yes good idea. i will hopefully post some up in the next few weeks...then i can also decide whether to get 'the cooks book' that you're working thru ;)

Helen: Yes :( But i went to pick up another one today. But couldn't resist getting another really nice one lol. Glad the pudding brought a smile to your face :)

Patricia Scarpin October 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

I'm not familiar with the work of Gary Mehigan, but I have seen something about Calombaris on Gourmet Traveller - that must be a great book!
As for your pudding, it looks smooths and divine! Give me anything with cinnamon and I'm a happy girl!

Deborah October 21, 2010 at 4:42 AM  

How annoying that your cup got stolen, but good luck that you ran across this book signing! I've never heard of them, since I'm not in Australia, but I can't wait for some of those recipes!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart October 21, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

Sad about your cup situation but happy that it lead you to this fun book signing! I have never been to a book signing before but this coming Tuesday, my sister and I are planning to go to a nearby mall to see Ina Garten. I am so... excited!

I have enjoyed perusing many of your posts. Love your recipes and your artistic photography. Very nice!

Lovely place you have here!

Kindly, ldh

Anonymous,  October 21, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

So cool to meet the two G's. The pudding looks great. Think I am going to get this book too!

Julie October 21, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

oh noes your cup :(. I had a story about my cup too.. someone chucked a dirty sponge in my cup when i left it for 5 mins!!!

tell me if the recipes are any good <3

Anna October 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

What a lovely lunchtime surprise - lovely shot of the 3 of you :)

ps - workplace thieves are the lowest form of thieves!!! Grrrr! Please do remember to show us your new fugly and unstealable mug! ;)

Von October 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

haha....maybe it's sorta a good thing that your cup got stolen after all =) But now you still don't have a cup?? Poor you....
I would die if someone stole my favourite cup =S This pudding looks delicious! I love the sound of the cinnamon sauce!

Viv October 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Patricia: Wow you're very well read that you seem to know a lot of chefs from around the world :) Yes cinnamon is great stuff aye!

Deborah: Shall put up the recipe soon :)

LDH: Ina Garten the barefood contessa!!! WOW! That's awesome. I hope to read about it on your blog soon :) Thanks also for your kind comments!

Ellie: Yeah? Cools - haha we can both cook through it then! ;)

Julie: Eeew. I guess coz cups are the most used kitchenware that I take it quite personally when something happens to it...or I'm just obsessed :P

Ladybird: Thank u! LOL...fugly & unstealable mug is actually quite pretty. I just couldn't resist getting another pretty one :( We'll see if the saga continues!

Von: Yes silver lining in everything ;) Yep was deliciously smoooth and comforting nom nom!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM  

Vivienne what a great post! How fun to meet them. I thought Gary was very friendly when I met him last year :) Sorry to hear about your cup! How very strange-that is not nice!

Joanne October 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

girl you have guts going up to them and telling them you want VIP treatment. And I love and admire you for it.

What serendipity! I can't wait to see some of the fabulous things you make from that book.

I can't believe it about your cup though. People are so weird.

And pumpkin pudding. Bestill my heart.

Viv October 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

Lorraine: Yes Gary is definitely a warm and friendly guy! :)

Joanne: Hehe, well I said it in a joking way so they wouldn't take it that way I hope ;) Yes a lot of weird people out there who are obsessed with the thrill of cup stealing ><

Anonymous,  October 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

That would be fun meeting those two! great photo as well.

Jen October 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

Arghh I feel your frustration! Australia says no to cup borrowers and stationary stealers! But looking on the bright side, it led you to meet Gary & George! Yay :)

sugarpuffi October 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

omg u met george and gary! luckyyyyyyyyy
wow pumpkin pudding! that looks so interesting :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP